In several studies practicing Dual-N-Back tasks for about 20 minutes each day for 20 days significantly improves performance on a standard test of fluid intelligence.
This can be a significant benefit to traders to improve pattern recognition, new skill acquisition, and decision making.
Across various studies, practicing n-back improved the ability to reason and solve new problems, which is a crucial element of general intelligence registers an increase. This improvement lasts for up to three months.
The n-back task taps into a crucial brain function known as working memory (the ability to maintain information in an active, easily retrieved state, especially under conditions of distraction or interference). Working memory goes beyond mere storage to include processing information.
Dual n-back training increases the capacity of the focus of attention.
And fluid intelligence:
“The study, by a Swedish neuroscientist named Torkel Klingberg, involved just 14 children, all with A.D.H.D. Half participated in computerized tasks designed to strengthen their working memory, while the other half played less challenging computer games. After just five weeks, Klingberg found that those who played the working-memory games fidgeted less and moved about less. More remarkable, they also scored higher on one of the single best measures of fluid intelligence, the Raven’s Progressive Matrices. Improvement in working memory, in other words, transferred to improvement on a task the children weren’t training for.”
How Do I Get Started?
- First download and install Dual-N-Back on the platform of your choice.
- I’ve compiled a list of Dual-N-Back Free Tools and related sites below for the various devices and OS’s.
- Start with 5 minutes of practice and try to work your way up to 15 to 20 minutes per day.
- When you first begin you’ll find playing Dual-N-Back incredibly frustrating. This is normal and that’s why it’s important to start gradually.
- If you can’t even do five minutes okay start with one or two minutes a day and work on building a daily habit.
- Find creative ways to incorporate this daily training into your activities. For instance, while you’re standing in line at the grocery store or while you’re on the bus or plane.
- Track your progress.
Are you using dual-n-back?
Tell us how you’re doing and how many n-backs you’ve managed to achieve!
Dual-N-Back Apps by OS
For Mac, PC, Android, and Apple:
Dual-N-Back Related Articles –
Researchers Develop Software That Makes You Smarter
What is Dual-N-Back and My Personal Progress
Brain Training Games Don’t Work.